- This article was first published in the FOS Daily Newsletter. Subscribe here.
- MLS finalized its plan for return, adding to a radically redesigned sports calendar.
MLS is set to restart its season on July 8 at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, joining the NBA at the facility. All 26 MLS teams will arrive in Orlando on June 24 for the aptly named ‘MLS is Back Tournament,’ which will run through August 11.
The group stage of the tournament will count toward regular season standings while the tournament winner will receive a spot in the Concacaf Champions League. MLS is planning to resume its regular season after the conclusion of the tournament but has not yet set a date for that.
- Major sports properties currently in action: UFC, NASCAR, Bundesliga
- June 11: Both LaLiga and the PGA return to action today, with the Spanish soccer league resuming its season and golfers hitting the links at the Colonial Golf Course in Texas.
- June 17: The English Premier League returns to action.
- June 20: Italy’s Serie A restarts.
- June 26: The National Women’s Soccer League begins its month-long tournament in Salt Lake City.
- July 23: LPGA is expected to resume play with the Marathon Classic in Ohio.
- July 24: The WNBA is rumored to begin a shortened 22-game schedule at IMG Academy in Florida.
- July 25: Premier Lacrosse League launches a two-week fanless tournament.
- July 31: The NBA returns to action in Orlando.
- TBD: The NHL has announced a format for return to play but has not yet set dates as of yet, while MLB continues discussions with players for a return.